Thursday, July 07, 2005

Rescue Kitties

Over the last couple of years. I have taken several kitties into my care temporarily. Up till now, it has been me that initiated the catching of the cat and DH gave in and let me get it.

Little Black may be the exception to this. I don't know the cats name. He is a pure black cat that has been running around our apartment complex. Over the last 6 months, we have been feeding him when we see him and our cat Smokey actually looks for him so they can play.

Last night, DH went to return a movie and Little Black was sitting outside our door. We gave him some food and petted him while he ate. He stayed for a long time and he tried to get in a couple of times. Smokey was also trying to get out. I felt bad leaving him out in the storm but I'm pretty sure that he belongs to someone in the apartment complex. He is undernourished but he is slim. He always eats what we give him but he's not wolfing it down so I guess he isn't starving but just taking advantage of the free food. He was also staying in our breezeway so he wasn't getting wet anymore.

Dh was very upset though. The cat is always outside. I think the people that own him are the ones that keep a litterbox and food on their patio (they are on 1st floor). I don't think they ever let him in. The area we are in is very high traffic so I would worry constantly about our cats being outside. DH was upset that they leave the poor cat out in all weather and don't really seem that interested in him. He is very lovable and if you sit down, he just crawls in your laps to get petted and falls asleep while you are petting him.

I've been resisting letting him in the house cause I really think these people own him. He doesn't have any collars or tags but our cats don't wear any either.

Hopefully he has found someplace warm to curl up in while it continues to drizzle today.

What do you guys think? I'm inclined to just keep up as we are and feed him and love on him when we see him. Do you think I'm right or do you think I should try to find him a new home?

2 Comments:

Blogger kirabug said...

You'd probably be best by checking with the neighbors to see if it is their cat. If it's not, "found: cat" signs might work. and then if nobody responds to the signs i'd look for a new home for him.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with Kira. Put a sign up saying you've found a cat - see if anyone responds. He sounds like a lovely kitty :o)

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home