Wednesday, November 10, 2004

My poor little brother

I got a call from my baby brother who is so upset that he's crying. He's in the marine corp and stationed in North Carolina. He called to let me know that 5 of his good friends were seriously injured in the latest attack in Iraq. 2 of the injured guys are staying in Iraq and the other 3 are being sent home. Little bro says that one of them (N) will be discharged from the marines if he survives.

Bro is feeling a lot of guilt over N because N asked bro to get him on a MEU (ship) so he could travel and bro pulled some strings to get him on a MEU that ended up going to Iraq at the last minute. He's also feeling guilty because he is on the non-deployable list due to his knowledge and back problems so he will not be going to Iraq. This is a relief to my mom and me but Bro feels he should be over there doing his duty since that's what he signed up for. He's now in his 6th year as a marine and he's contracted for 2 more yet.
With so much unrest, part of me hopes that he doesn't reup and sign for another 4 year term but another part of me is very proud that he's serving his country the way he is.

Please keep my little brother and all the men serving in the armed services in your prayers. I know that I say a prayer daily for them all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Ginny, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's friends. It's really a tough time for the Marines and of all days, the Marine Corps birthday, to hear something like this, well. My husband spent many months with the MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit), and not all of them on a ship. They did get called to East Timor though, so I know they can be sent anywhere at any time. Hugs.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Elfinlady said...

(((hugs))) We'll be keeping your brother and his friends in our thoughts.

Cris

5:13 PM  
Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said...

I'll be sending good thoughts for your brother and his friends as well. It is a very noble thing to step up and serve your country. {{{Hugs}}}

12:28 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Terri, my brother spent time in east timor too. the only thing he really said about it though was that people shouldn't shoot at you when you are bringing them food. He spent a year on a MEU and a year in okinawa (I know my spelling is horrid) during his first 4 years.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home