Monday, October 25, 2004

Perspective

I had a rough weekend due to post surgery recouperating blues. The doctors warned me that it will take 6 months to a year to get back to where I was before surgery. I don't think I really understood until this weekend though.

They told me that I'm only allowed to lift 10lbs right now. I didn't realize just how little amount of weight this really was. I thought I would be able to do a load of laundry or vaccuum and do light housework. My husband put a load of laundry in the basket and then on the bathroom scales and sure enough, it weighs more than 10lbs so I can't do that. he then put the vaccuum cleaner on the scales and again it weighs more than 10lbs. I reached down to pick up one of my 3 kittens so I could pet them for comfort only to be reminded that they weigh over 10lbs too. I'm allowed to add 5lbs a month to what I lift so at least I will be able to pick up my kittens again next month.

They told me that I would be able to walk an 1/8 of a mile to a 1/4 of a mile. A trip to the mall made me realize just how short that distance was when we parked, walked into the mall and I had to stop to catch my breath in the food court before continuing on to the stores. I'm allowed to add distance as I can take it with this but it was depressing to realize just how little I could do.

They told me I would have some memory problems due to the drugs they gave me during and after surgery. This hit home when I got up from the couch and started walking toward the kitchen only to stop half way there because I couldn't remember why I had gotten up. I also noticed the difference in my stitching. Before I could remeber large section of the pattern so I didn't have to stop stitching as often. Now I have to keep the pattern in sight at all times because I'm having to look at it all the time.

I came into work feeling pretty grouchy and crummy. I read the bboards and saw two stories in particular that made me realize just how lucky I am. I survived my surgery. I'm having a chance to recover. I didn't have cancer. I have my family with me. I feel safe and loved. I have a job that is being very flexible about what I can and can't do and when I have to have off. My husband just got a new job with a great pay raise. Even with the loss of money due to time of work, we paid all our bills. I have great friends that visited me and continue to keep track of me and make sure I don't need anything.

After thinking about all of this, I have nothing to complain about but I have a lot to give thanks for so thank you to everyone out there that cares. My prayers and thoughts go out to those of you that are having problems no matter how small or how big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home